VMware vSphere 5.1 – SSO installation takes very long 4


Yesterday I’ve migrated a customer environment from vSphere 5.0 to vSphere 5.1 and as you know, vCenter server now requires a so called Single Sign On (SSO) service.

Since this was not my first migration, I prepared the required database and SQL users and went through first setup steps without any problems. Then I hit the install button and the installation started as expected. But somehow the installer seemed too stuck at the following screen:SSO

However we waited … 15 minutes, 30 minutes … nothing happened.

Then I decided to check the installation.log which can be found in

<SSO installation path>\utils\logs

One of the last entries was

2013-04-03 11:10:02,804 – <FQDN hostname><http://<FQDN hostname>>,,,,Generating secret keys

The system itself had no conspicuous CPU, RAM or disk usage, everything seemed fine. So I checked some other logs and the most important one at this point was the imsTrace.log which still got updated every 3-4 minutes with entries like

2013-04-03 11:16:53,831, [main], (KeyManagerDAL.java:288), trace.com.rsa.ims.security.keymanager.dal.sql.KeyManagerDAL, INFO, FQDN hostname><http://<FQDN hostname>>,,,,prepare INSERT INTO IMS_KEY_STORE (ID, KEY_NAME, KEY_TYPE, KEY_PARAMS, KEY_PARAMS_EXT, KEY_PARAMS_EXT1, REPLACEMENT_KEY_ID, KEY_PWD_HASH, KEY_ROTATION_STATUS) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?) on connection Transaction-aware proxy for target Connection  from DataSource [org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.SingleConnectionDataSource@12a34b45c] auto-commit: true

Unfortunately the log posted the exact same entry multiple times in a row and I wasn’t sure if this was a good sign 😉

To be honest I was a bit impatient and canceled the installer and re-ran it. The second attempt discovered a previously installed SSO database schema and forced a uninstall.

Ok third attempt and surprise, the installer “stuck” at the exact same step with the exact same log entries. This time I decided to let the installer run. Patiently I checked the imsTrace.log and at some point the installer continued with other actions which also took unusual long. After 1,5 hours the installation completed. Wohoo!

So sometimes patience is all you need. If you are not sure if your SSO installation process is still doing something, just check the imsTrace and installation log.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Related Post

It's only fair to share...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInEmail this to someone

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 thoughts on “VMware vSphere 5.1 – SSO installation takes very long

  • AJ

    Hi,

    thx for your post, because i was stcuk at the same issue. I think it has something to do with some AD policies, because i had this Problem/issue the first time and i installed the SSO a lot at our customers (All manual installations, because of some optimisations thru the enviroment).

    I wasn´t so Patient as you before your post. So i could sit back an wait to that the Installation will finish up 🙂

    Maybe i will investigate further to find why it took so Long in this enviroment. Ressourcen couldn´t the issue here (2 x 3GHz / 8GB / and the Storage is a very fast EMC vMAX with SSD Cache).

    Regards and so log
    SeeSite

  • Dennis Lefeber

    I’ve got the exactly the same issue.
    The installer runs for about 1,5 hour (!).

    I’ve tried to reinstall the complete vCenter Server (build 1235232) incl Windows server 2008 R2 std.
    With this new installation I also run into the same problem.

  • Ben

    A ha! Thanks for this. Our SSO module died and I’m reinstalling on our primary site today. No hangups on our DR site yesterday, but today I’ve got exactly this. You helped my mild uneasiness from becoming panic! 😀 An hour in and I’m starting to get past that bank of identical entries in imsTrace. Ta!